Friday, March 3, 2006

Hina-no-sekku - 雛の節句

In Japan there is no celebration of the Women's Day (which, in my opinion, completely lost its original meaning. There is no sense in celebrating it, but this would be another story). Instead, they celebrate "Doll's Day" (Hina-no-sekku, 雛の節句) on March 3rd.

On this day, families with girls wish their daughters a successful and happy life. Dolls are displayed in the house together with peach blossoms. The doll festival has its origin in a Chinese custom in which bad fortune is transferred to dolls and then removed by abandoning the doll on a river. On Hina Matsuri, sweet sake is drunken and chirashi sushi is eaten.

PS: thank you sam for the beautiful Minosa bonsai.

2 comments:

  1. you're welcome!

    come stai, caro?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought maple bonsai a few months ago.I thought Bonsai is the hobby for eldery.However I gradually understand its beauty.maybe I'm getting old...

    ReplyDelete